Make xdg-desktop-portal-kde part of Plasma release

Jan Grulich jgrulich at redhat.com
Wed Apr 19 12:08:52 UTC 2017

Hi,

I would like to request/discuss inclusion of xdg-desktop-portal-kde [1] into
Plasma to have it released with Plasma 5.10 and so on.

What is xdg-desktop-portal-kde:
It's a KDE implementation of Flatpak portals backend [2], currently with
support of AppChooser, FileChooser, Notification and Print portals.

How it works:
An app running in sandbox communicates with outside world using
org.freedesktop.portal.Foo interfaces (each of them is one portal). These
interfaces are registered by xdg-desktop-portal (on DBus as
org.freedesktop.portal.Desktop service). This requires support in library to
make widgets etc. do calls to o.f.p.Foo interfaces instead of doing what they
usually do. This is already implemented in KNotifications and for Qt part we
have flatpak platform plugin. Then xdg-desktop-portal calls desktop specific
implementations to present native dialogs and have proper integration. That's
where xdg-desktop-portal-kde takes place. It exposes it's implementation on
DBus as org.freedesktop.impl.portal.desktop.kde service. Then in case of KDE
when user requests a file dialog from a sandboxed application, Qt platform
plugin does a dbus call to xdg-desktop-portal instead of showing a dialog and
xdg-desktop-portal forwards this to our backend implementation and we show a
native dialog to the user, this time this dialog is not running in sandbox and
user can open a file which is outside the sandboxed application. Same way it
works with opening URLs, notifications etc.

What do you think?

[1] - https://cgit.kde.org/xdg-desktop-portal-kde.git/
[2] - http://flatpak.org/xdg-desktop-portal/portal-docs.html#idm140258860052032

Regards,