Default touch screen edge gestures

Dan Leinir Turthra Jensen admin at leinir.dk
Tue Apr 11 11:13:11 UTC 2017

On Tuesday, 11 April 2017 11:32:18 BST Martin Gräßlin wrote:
> Am 11. April 2017 11:23:01 MESZ schrieb Dan Leinir Turthra Jensen
<admin at leinir.dk>:
> >Heyhey :)
> >
> >i do rather like the idea of edge gestures, however i would also quite
> >like
> >to keep in mind applications here...
>
> we discussed the proposed implementation at the affenfels sprint. Why did
> you not raise this concern there?

  i did mention it, but i realise my voice does not carry well.

> I explicitly asked for the "go for it!" prior to spending time on
> implementing. Now coming up with additional requirements after the
> implementation is rather unfair.

  As you say, you have already worked on the implementation, and i must
confess to have not quite realised that (having been somewhat busy in other
areas). I retract my statement - while having the corners included, it is too
late to consider this now. Perhaps it might also, arguably, be too many
options for something which is supposed to be a type of sloppy interaction. At
any rate, departed trains and sailed boats and whatnot.

  Arguing against myself, too, I guess it would make sense to perhaps have a
different set of gestures for when touch is a secondary input (touch enabled
laptops and whatnot), and for touch-first devices (phones, tablets...). It
would not be entirely out of step with what i have advocated with the whole
Gemini thing for a while now, that one size does not fit all ;)
  So, again, i retract my early morning comments, and quite entirely see your
reason for being displeased with what i am sure will seem as a drive-by info
drop (rather than the hopeful helpful comment it was intended to be, and which
obviously, in hindsight, it does not exactly manage).

  Now, to try and be at least vaguely useful: Might i suggest that running
applications full screen would be something of a special case, and that in
such a case, the edge gestures might be expected to be different? Specifically,
it might be expected that the top (or bottom) edge would somehow function as
an escape function (say, present windows for example), while the remaining
edges are given to the full screen application?
  I mention this because, after using systems where this does not happen, it
is quite annoying when such accidental activations happen. Again, this is
only, specifically, for full screen applications, not for the general case,
where the rest of the system is visible.
  Hope that is an at least marginally useful comment on the topic.

--
..dan / leinir..
http://leinir.dk/