plugins,caches, startup time

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Fri Sep 30 22:33:41 UTC 2016

On Friday, September 30, 2016 10:18:21 PM UTC Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> > My suggestion is to first get the type system right in
> > plasma-framework then we look into enforcing caches. I'm especially
> > afraid of this one as it will require quite a lot of work from the
> > packagers.
> > Furthermore, it would also be really interesting to look into reducing
> > plugin look-ups altogether, I'm almost sure that plugins are listed
> > several times on every boot.
>
> I think so, too.
>
> Also, I tend to agree to make our code better instead of adding caching.
> I'm  rather unhappy with the impact on packagers, as you note.

These are the numbers I'm working with for Plasma's startup, by the way:
last column is relative plugin path, last-but-one is number of times searched
through (indirectly) KPluginLoader::findPlugins():

("             empty") << 15 << QString();
("           applets") << 18 << QStringLiteral("plasma/applets");
("  packagestructure") << 24 << QStringLiteral("kpackage/packagestructure/");
("     scriptengines") << 18 << QStringLiteral("plasma/scriptengines");
("containmentactions") << 13 << QStringLiteral("plasma/containmentactions");
("        dataengine") << 10 << QStringLiteral("plasma/dataengine");
--
sebas

Sebastian Kügler    •    http://vizZzion.orghttp://www.kde.org