A Plasma Vision draft

Olivier Churlaud olivier at churlaud.com
Tue Sep 27 16:46:12 UTC 2016

Hi,

Le mardi 27 septembre 2016, 18:24:36 CEST Jens Reuterberg a écrit :
> This is actually fairly tricky because what is needed is a metric to work
> towards: sayiing "fast and stable" is not very exact.
>
> But you raise fair points - how do we ensure that it doesn't exclude anyone?
> To me a vision is a statement of intent, but not a boundary beyond
> practical choices. "Should we pick Y or X, we can only pick one?" Should be
> something that you can answer with it. In this case "Does one of them help
> professional users? Pick that!".
> Not "I want to do Y!" and then someone going "No you can't because X and Z
> would be more for professional users".
>
> One is a boundary, the other is a vision I feel. We can't make a few
> sentences work as a complete boundary - that would take a way longer
> document. This is more like the header for a longer text, a statement of
> intent or coming things but it can't be something that defines complete
> usage.
>
> Still, you bring up good points - but how can we realize them as a vision?
> How can "fast/stable" function except as something that would work for
> everyone, all DE's etc?

My understanding of the vision is "what do we want". So if you say "Plasma
targets professional users", it means "we do not care at all about the
others".

I might be wrong, but it seems to me that what you want to say to the world is
"we have the most reliable, proof of that: our products are used by
professionals". So when reading this, I really think that the vision is about
reliability, efficiency and good experience. Your target is just a way to access
to this quality, so it's more part of your strategy.

Now I must be clear: in my mind the vision is shown everywhere when you speak
about the product. To me, it should be used as a marketing weight to say "this
is who/what we are". If you have that in mind, you don't want to have in big
on the front page of your website and on your stickers "for professional
users", because people will exclude themselves. I'm more afraid of this
(people excluding themselves) than of people excluding others.

However, if you don't see the vision as what I just presented, it means that
we don't speak of the exact same thing, and in this case I don't have anything
against the current formulation.

Cheers
Olivier