Implementing a panel in Plasma 5.8 needs a layout to accompany it?

Michail Vourlakos mvourlakos at gmail.com
Tue Sep 27 16:10:40 UTC 2016

Can you please confirm me the following?

1. NoDisplay=true , in the metadata.desktop, tells to the panel to not
appear in the widgets explorer, but this is a panel so I think it
shouldnt if the user can not add it from there, right?

2. my metadata.desktop was using NoDisplay=true in Plasma 5.7 but there
was not a problem there. Without a layout specification the "Empty Now
Dock Panel" was appearing correctly. So this is a change from 5.7 to
5.8, right?

3. providing an accompanied layout is not a problem but unfortunately
for the user to install it, I have not found an easy way to do so except
the command line:
"plasmapkg2 -t layout-template -i".

3.1 Is there a way inside the panel package (.plasmoid) to add somewhere
a layout, and that layout to be installed with the panel directly? (I
mean by using plasmapkg2)

3.2 Installing layouts from store.kde.org is not possible, right? this
is because plasmapkg2 can not identify them if the user does not provide
the arguments "-t layout-template", am I right?

michail