[Differential] [Request, 46 lines] D2807: Treat NET::Utility type windows as SkipTaskbar.

hein (Eike Hein) noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Sat Sep 17 16:23:43 UTC 2016

hein created this revision.
hein added reviewers: Plasma, davidedmundson, broulik.
hein added a subscriber: plasma-devel.

REVISION SUMMARY
  Utility windows (NET::Utility/_NET_WM_WINDOW_TYPE_UTILITY) should
  not be on the Task Manager, but they should be on the Pager. This
  patch achieves this by evaluating the window type in the
  AbstractTasksModel::SkipTaskBar data role.

  I considered the alternative approach of making a new
  AbstractTasksModel::IsUtilityWindow (or similar) data role and
  adding a pass to evaluate it to TaskFilterProxyModel, then
  configuring the filter models in TasksModel and the Pager backend
  differently. But this is not very extensible. Then I realized that
  AbstractTasksModel data roles do not and should not reflect X11
  idioms anyway; the point of the library is to abstract for the
  purpose of UI, and what XWindowTasksModel considers "SkipTaskBar"
  is really an implementation detail. This makes all the more sense
  considering on Wayland we have no notion of window types (beyond
  "popup") yet, and don't quite now how it's going to evolve.

  Various API docstrings have been changed to better reflect that
  the meaning of the data role doesn't map to anything specific in
  the tasks.

  BUG:368956

REPOSITORY
  rPLASMAWORKSPACE Plasma Workspace