Plasma BOF Notes

Thomas Pfeiffer thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org
Tue Sep 13 11:13:21 UTC 2016

On 13.09.2016 12:24, David Edmundson wrote:
>   - new LTS every 18 months when the previous one ends

While this of course makes sense from Plasma's side, it could be a problem for
those who rely on LTS.
There is a reason why distros usually have quite some overlap between the
support cycles of two consecutive LTS releases: Users who rely on LTS are often
big, slow-moving enterprises which may need months to migrate from one version
to the next. If support for one LTS release ends as soon as the next one is out,
they have a migration window of basically one day if they want to keep on a
supported version.
Of course we don't have the manpower to support two LTS versions for a long
period of time, but maybe a month or two of overlapping support cycles could be
possible?
We could also ask on the enterprise and distributions lists what they think is
needed, as there are the people who know the customer side of things.
Cheers,
Thomas