Breakout: * multiscreen behaviour: how should Plasma exactly behave in different scenarios?

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Tue Oct 18 11:16:33 UTC 2016

On Tuesday 18 October 2016, Martin Klapetek wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 17, 2016 at 12:59 PM, Jonathan Riddell <jr at jriddell.org> wrote:
> >     <d_ed> biggest pain point from bugzilla is mostly still
> >
> > multiscreen. I'm not sure we have a solid plan of what /should/ happen
> > in each situation.
> >
> >     <d_ed> panel gets added to screen 1 and 2, you disconnect screen
> >
> > 2. How many panels do you have on screen 1
>
> (speaking from being in a work environment where I regularly switch
> between various screens/tvs and screen setups multiple times a day)

hey Martin, nice to see you =)

> Ideally containments are tied to screens as a whole and no "merge"
> of panels is happening. So in the case above, one panel. (I don't
> remember if panels are part of the containments, but I'll assume it is)

yes, panels are containments with their own view window, just like the
desktops (so, assigned to a screen by their own)

> Ie: [laptop] [*screen1] --unplug screen--> [*laptop]
>
> That primary setting should also be remembered by a screen I think,
> because if I'm plugging to a projector or big room TV, I don't think I want
> all my laptop screen suddenly jumping to the other screen for everyone
> to see. In other words, I never set that TV or projector as primary and
> therefore plasma shouldn't automatically assume "any external screen
> equals move primary screen".

that would need I guess some special treating in kscreen like
"when you encounter that particular screen (edid? manifacturer/model?) do not
set it as primary"
or even stricter, set as primary only when you encounter that particular
screen that is the one you have sitting on your desk, and not any new unknown
one

--
Marco Martin