~Re: lookandfeel and dependencies (and potentially all kde-store related stuff)

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Wed Oct 12 23:10:43 UTC 2016

Hey Marco,

Sorry it took so long to give some feedback on this thread.

On Wednesday, October 5, 2016 5:42:20 PM UTC Marco Martin wrote:
> in plasma 5.8 a new option to download look and feel packages from the kde
> store appeared.
> since it's possible for a look and feel package to depend from external
> stuff  (for instance, 3rd party icon theme and whatnot) how to manage that?
>
> I was thinking about kpackage metadata file containing a list of appstream-
> compatible names for dependencies, then packagekit would figure out
> dependency  packages to install.
>
> this will probably become an issue for plasmoids too and potentially a lot
> of  content offered trough the KDE store.

But packagekit won't go through the store, no? If it receives dependencies
from the store and then install them through the package manager, you can't
really pull in these packages from the store (since that' not what apt-get and
friends are going to download and install from).

Except if packagekit can tap into the store. My understanding is that it
currently doesn't, but discover combines both sources in our ui.

> would an approach like that make sense? any other ideas/opinions?

At first, I thought it made total sense, but now I think I'm not understanding
it. I think it could work if plasmapkg just tried downloading the additional
packages, perhaps through attica (or something simpler).

What I dislike is that we're creating another package manager in the ~/.local
directory. I do see a lot of advantages to allowing combinations of packages,
and it would allow makers to not stupidly copy around sources, but work
together on whole themes / lnf / shells, etc..
--
sebas

Sebastian Kügler    •    http://vizZzion.orghttp://www.kde.org