System Settings - Network -> Connectivity

Jan Grulich jgrulich at redhat.com
Tue Oct 11 07:57:56 UTC 2016

On úterý 27. září 2016 13:03:09 CEST Marco Martin wrote:
> On Tuesday 27 September 2016, David Edmundson wrote:
> > On Mon, Sep 26, 2016 at 10:01 PM, kainz.a <kainz.a at gmail.com> wrote:
> > > After some review of the existing System Setting overview page I come up
> > > that the subgroups for each main group should be at least near the same,
> > > therefore I'd like to update the Network section.
> > >
> > > The main problem of the network section is that you can't configure the
> > > network. The network (lan, wlan, ...) you can configure with the nm
> > > plasmoid.
> >
> > Intersting question that raises, should you be able to?
> >
> > kde5-nm-connection-editor is runnable standalone, it wouldn't be /too/
> > much
> > work to put that into a KCM.
> > It just needs everything in the toolbar and the "connection" entry in the
> > menu (7 things in total) into something KCM friendly.
>
> having that in systemsettings would perhaps make sense, but...
> wouldn't this make the ui worse when called from the applet?

Hi,

just a heads up, I started working (again) on a new KCM for network
configuration, this time I decided to make it simple, just implement it
similar to the editor, with just a bit nicer UI. We can always add features
and changes in future, but right now I think that the most important part is
to allow configure connections through system settings.

My plan is to have the list of connections on the left side and once you
pickup some connection, you will get configuration (same one as in the editor)
on the right side, except it won't be separated to tabs, but all configuration
will be below each other with some separators or maybe use ToolBox widget, not
sure what's better option.

Picture of the list of connections:
https://jgrulich.fedorapeople.org/kcm_network.png

Regards,