Implementing a panel in Plasma 5.8 needs a layout to accompany it?

Michail Vourlakos mvourlakos at gmail.com
Sat Oct 8 18:43:59 UTC 2016

A small update for this for Plasma 5.8,

removing "NoDisplay=true" from metadata.desktop is not an option for
me... The panel is appearing in the widgets list but there is the
following not acceptable behavior.

If the user tries to add the Now Dock Panel from the widgets list then
the panel is trying to be added in the desktop containment and that
creates a plasma crash that can not be fixed if the user dont edit its
plasma configuration files (so the user can not login to plasma at all
after that).

That creates the following situation:

Now Dock Panel will be installed only through user manual installation
and not from the 1-click install of store.kde.org which is disappointing
actually. This is happening because I have to add a default and an empty
layouts for the Now Dock Panel and these can not be installed from the
same plasmoid package and correct me if I am wrong but layouts also can
not be installed at all from 1-click install of store.kde.org

regards,

michail