[Discussion] - Plasma Panels Future Enhancements?

Michail Vourlakos mvourlakos at gmail.com
Sat Nov 12 08:35:13 UTC 2016

> 2. Change Panel's Thickness from client side
>
> As I have understood it, the plasma panels change their thickness only
> by the user setting its value. I would like this to be able to be
> changed from the panel's client qml codepage. I tried to expose
> thickness with Layout.preferredWidth and preferredHeight but this
> didnt go quite well because it breaks current implementatation. I
> tried containment.implicitWidth... but this isnt exposed at all. Do
> you have any ideas how this should be implemented in order to not
> break current implementation?

for this I found a solution by adding to the client plasma panel  a

property int thickness /// variable

and binding it correctly with the panelview

> 3. "Real" Panel Transparency
>
> Docks are panels that not only have a visual transparent background
> but also they pass the mouse events to go underneath their transparent
> areas. This is also the way Plank is doing it. It creates a big window
> that for the transparent background leaves all the mouse events go
> underneath. I believe plasma panels are Qt windows managed from KWin,
> I think Qt is offering this feature by setting some flags for the
> window. Do you have any ideas for this?

for this I found a solution by adding in the panel view a new variable

QRect m_maskArea

which is exposed and lets the client code to set the mask for the panel,

it uses setMask from QWindow...

what do you think?