Split the kioslaves out of plasma-workspace?

Elvis Angelaccio elvis.angelaccio at kde.org
Sat Nov 5 16:06:27 UTC 2016

On Sat, Nov 5, 2016 at 1:07 PM, David Edmundson
<david at davidedmundson.co.uk> wrote:

>>> If this mean the plasma team take care about Dolphin +1000
>>>
>>> history of the contributors, a boost would help dolphin.
>>> https://github.com/KDE/dolphin/graphs/contributors
>>

>> The aim is to be able to install (and use) Dolphin with its remote://
>> ioslave without installing all of plasma (and its dependencies);
>> maintainership is completely orthogonal to this issue.
>>
>> From looking at the CMakeLists.txt of plasma-workspace/kioslave/* the only
>> reason they are not moved to kio or kio-extras is that they still depend on
>> KDELibs4Support?
>>
> The reason they're not in kio-extras, is they're core, not extra things.
> We certainly need desktop:// and remote:// ourselves and we can't have a
> dependency on applications and that's just the same as the current problem
> but in reverse.
>
> I think you're right that they could go in frameworks. I don't think it
> wouldn't bring any new dependencies and it already has a few ioslaves

Also, both Dolphin and plasma-workspace already depend on KIO. So
moving them to KIO sounds like a good solution.

remote:// no longer depends on kdelibs4support as of yesterday. I can
do the same for desktop:// and applications:// to help this happen.

> The other option is we make Dolphin check for the KIO existing before adding
> it to placesmodel.
>
> David

Cheers
Elvis