DrKonqi and BKO

René J. V. Bertin rjvbertin at gmail.com
Thu Nov 3 08:54:17 UTC 2016

Martin Klapetek wrote:

>> Bug trackers are not trace trackers. Spending time on solving the
>> actual problem is the best thing https://retrace.fedoraproject.org/
>> https://errors.ubuntu.com/
>

> They're not, yet we're using it as one. So might as well improve
> the experience at least a bit.

Are we? I have no idea what a trace tracker is, and the intro on the fedora site
doesn't tell me much more than that it analyses coredumps and then makes the
information available to the person who submitted it.

I don't see how that would help KDE when bug reports are coming from Mac, MSWin
or any other non-Linux platform. I would like to think that any developer of a
(KDE) application or library that isn't platform-specific by its intended
application would be interested in receiving reports from all platforms where
his/her code is used.

Backtraces are a crucial part of bug reports, so support for them has their
place on bug trackers and in utilities to submit reports to those trackers. The
only reason why uploading a backtrace as an attachment isn't currently the ideal
solution for the current problems is that this makes it impossible to search for
existing bug reports.

However, I do think it's more important that bug report can be filed as easily as
possible; if that means dropping the duplicate-search feature for the time
being, so be it. After all, it's not like it's giving the perfect protection
against duplicate reports.

Either way, if "solving the actual problem" means looking into trace trackers
that's not a DrKonqi responsibility - not until there is such a thing to
interface with.

R.