[Differential] [Commented On] D3210: make scrollbar size configurable

hpereiradacosta (Hugo Pereira Da Costa) noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Wed Nov 2 07:20:58 UTC 2016

hpereiradacosta added a comment.

  Hello again Marco,
  Over the week-end I have used (and experienced with) the proposed slim scrollbar, and I must say I has grown on me quite some.
  However I'd like to propose a slightly different metrics for the reduce scrollbar, which you could possibly test on your side too (both for the design, and the functionality):

    ScrollBar_Extend = 20,
    ScrollBar_SliderWidth = 6,
    ScrollBar_MinSliderHeight = 18,

  As you see, the slider width is at 6, as originally planed by you (and confirmed on Telegram).
  The Extend however is kept at 20 (though it could be equally reduce to 18). The rationale behind it is that this way you keep the same size for the hit area as with the large scrollbar, so that there is no loss of functionality, even if the scrollbar looks more slim.
  Also, 20 is used as a size for hit areas for many other elements in breeze (as you can see in breeze.h), e.g. checkboxes and radiobuttons, menu arrows, slider handles. So that it all feel "consistent".

  The MinsliderHeight I have increased to 18 (and I think it could be increased even larger),

  - to match better what is used e.g. in Telegram
  - because it looks nice
  - is confortable, hit-area wise.

  Would you give it a shot ? Tell me what you think ?

  As for the options, I think that with this slim scrollbar, the default should be to have no arrows on either side (this is the trend elsewhere anyway, as also mentioned on Telegram)

  Finally, I still think there should be no options for this (nor for the disappearing groove), especially if we keep the scrollbar_extend at 20, because

  - this new design looks gorgeous enough so that we should be proud of it and not have "after-thoughts"
  - there is no loss of functionality (the hit area is the same)

  (I would tend to limit options to added/removed functionalities, rather than just design choicies).

  But in the end it is up to you and the VDG to decide.
  I can discuss this further (and lay my arguments) on Telegram if need be, since I am now logged in there also.

REPOSITORY
  rBREEZE Breeze

EMAIL PREFERENCES