RFC: plasma logo as start menu icon and ksplash logo

Thomas Pfeiffer thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org
Tue May 31 19:58:08 UTC 2016

On 03.02.2016 18:31, Marco Martin wrote:
> On Wednesday 03 February 2016 09:10:06 Dirk Hohndel wrote:
>>> http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-jwBzU1YZWLI/U8U2E1nDM8I/AAAAAAAAmfY/jDbBMq9GkP4/
>>> s1600/plasma-5-banner.png
>> As someone with a more "outside" perspective... boy that one is ugly. And
>> really doesn't provide a lot of "recognizability". I'm running Plasma on
>
>  "outside" perspective that makes it very, very valuable.
>
>> ArchLinux and I see the "K in the gear" logo in the bottom left corner of
>> my screen; replacing this with the three different sized, oddly spaced
>> dots and the '>' symbol? Doesn't sound like an improvement in branding to
>> me.
>
> yep, if we replace the old "k with gear" it must be a really good one

The VDG is clearly of the opinion that we have to create a clear visual branding
for Plasma which is distinct from the KDE brand, and a key element of that has
to be Plasma's logo.

Therefore now the question is: Can the Plasma team identify itself with the
current Plasma logo, or do you feel it still has to be improved?

What we certainly do not want is the Plasma team trying to hide away the logo
because you don't really like it. So either you like it and make it a key
element in Plasma (by using it e.g. for the launcher and the boot splash), or
you tell us what you don't like about it so we can improve it.

Cheers,
Thomas