plasma-desktop on other environments (bis)

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Sat May 28 15:02:50 UTC 2016

On Sat, May 28, 2016 at 10:27 AM, David Edmundson <
david at davidedmundson.co.uk> wrote:

> On Sat, May 28, 2016 at 3:11 PM, Martin Klapetek <
> martin.klapetek at gmail.com> wrote:

>>> cross-platform users. After all alert sound specificity is supposed to aid
>>> in determining what's going on and how to react.
>>>
>>> If I hear the generic Windows drum sound I know that an error happened.
>>> If I hear the Oxgen sound on Windows I might not do that.
>>>
>>> While I am one of those negligible "I use Kate and Dolphin on Windows
>>> because Notepad and Explorer suck" users, I still want native integration
>>> and not a "familiar KDE interface". I bet the average one-platform user
>>> group we imho should be targeting does the same.
>>>

>> This^. Very much this.
>>
>> Please don't make our apps aliens in other environments.
>>

> Renè isn't doing the individual standalone OS X packages, which should
> have the tight host integration. Other people are doing that.
>
> He's doing macports which is *very* different. Macports even has X11 and
> Fluxbox.
> If you're running kate on X with a fluxbox WM, having native OS X
> integration just because of your kernel doesn't make too much sense.

However, the discussion started with "an initial approach at evaluating
what builds and what makes sense on a ~Plasma desktop, X11 or OS X
(or MS Windows, presumably)."

In that context, it doesn't make sense to use KDE's notification sounds for
apps running on OS X or MS Windows, presumably, if they can be replaced
with native counterparts *by default*. By all means give the user tools to
break
his system, but defaults should be sensible in a way that the application
does
not look and behave like an alien app.

On a side note, KNotification doesn't really have much other use on ~X11
than playing sounds.

Cheers
--
Martin Klapetek | KDE Developer