plasma-desktop on other environments (bis)

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Mon May 23 10:45:42 UTC 2016

On Mon, May 23, 2016 at 9:35 AM, René J.V. <rjvbertin at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Monday May 23 2016 07:59:14 Martin Graesslin wrote:
>
> >I'm against any patches to plasma-desktop to make it compile on other
> >platforms. There should not be any need to have anything from
> plasma-desktop
> >on non Plasma platforms. If there is indeed a KCM which makes sense to
> have on
> >other platforms then it was incorrectly positioned and needs to be moved
> out
>
> I agree (but am not going to hold my breath). I actually think that even
> for Plasma desktops it would make sense to move the KCMs out of there, at
> least the ones that are not directly related to what makes the desktop or
> how it works.
>
> >work a valid use case. In my opinion KDE applications should follow the
> native
> >style on OSX.
>
> I really cannot get my head around that kind of attitude from people
> working on a "Freedesktop" environment. Users of OS X (or MS Windows) are
> apparently not entitled to gaining a little more freedom where and when
> they can? That's really not what I'd expect from members of what's supposed
> to be a community, and doesn't at all motivate me to contribute more on
> other aspects.
>
> Well, I'm kind of with you.

In Plasma, we don't support OS X and we supposedly are completely separated
from applications, so we are absolutely the last people in KDE who should
be telling you how applications on OS X should be acting

Macports does seem to fall into a somewhat different use-case to the the
applications being packaged for OS X standalone. However, it does feel
quite similar to the "how do I configure KDE apps on Fluxbox" discussion
that's come up quite a few times.

Could you make a list of what features you need rather than what you don't
need.
It's hard to read but more importantly it's hard to see where we have
overlaps with these other problems that we need to solve.

David