plasma-desktop on other environments (bis)

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Mon May 23 05:52:02 UTC 2016

On Saturday, May 21, 2016 10:03:21 PM CEST René J.  V. Bertin wrote:
> > The following are unneccessary because we don't provide/have to provide
> > that feature outside a full Plasma session: * Autostart
> > * Global shortcuts
>
> Through kglobalacceld? That is part of a framework that's supposed to work
> on all major platforms, and as far as it has ever been functional there I
> don't see why it wouldn't be possible to configure it.

Speaking with KGlobalaccel maintainer hat: Applications are expected to
provide a configuration interface to set the global shortcuts. This is provided
by standard component through KShortcutsEditor in KXmlGui.

If an application sets a global shortcut without providing a way to configure
it, this would clearly be an application bug. As the number of applications
outside the desktop using KGlobalAccel can be counted on one hand (I'm aware
of Yakuake and Amarok), we can manually check whether they do it.

The module in plasma-desktop is for those components which don't have a direct
UI to configure: KWin, Plasma, KSMServer, the kded modules. All things from the
platform specific desktop.

There is in my opinion no need to provide such a component on other platforms/
desktop. KGlobalAcceld should integrate with the native configuration tool on
other platforms.

Cheers
Martin