status of kde/plasma kiosk framework in kf5

Kai Uwe Broulik kde at privat.broulik.de
Tue May 17 13:58:07 UTC 2016

And a follow up on your in-line comments:

> action/kdesktop_rmb=false           # Whether the user can right click on a file icon on the desktop # this only works with plasma in "folderview" mode on real files

Looking at the code this is intentional. It probably just got ported from Plasma 4 without questioning it, would be easily changeable, though.

> action/plasma/containment_actions=false     # Whether the user can right click on the desktop to get any actions
> # this only works when the desktop is locked and only for the panel and the desktop
> # the panel still shows the menu but the menu is dead

That's a logic error in the code, it bails out when requesting the context menu if the view is immutable *and* containment_actions is blocked.

> plasma/allow_configure_when_locked=false    # Whether an applet already added to the desktop can be configured.
> # this still shows a contextmenu with the configure option on applets in the "panel"
> # those menuentries are dead (this is confusing and should be fixed)

It means whether to allow configuring a widget when widgets are locked, I'll fix the dead entries.

> action/shell_access=false           # Whether the user can launch a shell # it's still possible to open "konsole" !

Note thah shell_access also disables the KRunner plug-in that allows running arbitrary she'll commands. As for Konsole, you probably need to restrict access to it using other means, as long as a user can launch arbitrary applications they could also just run xterm which isn't a kde application and bundled with the XServer by default.

> plasma-desktop/add_activities=false       # Whether a new activity can be added
> # adding activities is not working but not showing the whole sidepanel would be better

You still need means of switching activities though? On the other hand the option should probably be hidden if there is just one (the default) activity and you aren't allowed to add new ones; this might be tricky though. You can remove the Activities entry by unchecking it from the "default menu" "Mouse Actions" in the desktop view setting I think.

Cheers,
Kai Uwe