status of kde/plasma kiosk framework in kf5

Kai Uwe Broulik kde at privat.broulik.de
Tue May 17 11:11:40 UTC 2016

Hi Thomas,

thanks a lot for your feedback!

> 1.) configuration panel for activities

That's a tricky one as we currently do not have QML bindings for Kiosk but I'll look into this.

> 2.) the desktopmenu still shows a "leave" button and ignores action/logout

I have a patch for this but we apparently didn't agree on what the "logout" restriction means, IMHO it should also block shutting down / reboot as that's also a way to leave the session...

> 3.) the applicationlauncher still lets you configure applications (this could be destructive)

I made a patch that will essentially turn the application menu read-only when the unlocked desktop restriction is in effect [1], or am I overshooting the goal?

> 4.) rightclick on systemtray still shows "system tray options" and "panel options" (bouth menus are dead)

Maybe that's already fixed in the new 5.7 system tray implementation, if not I'll have a look

> 5.) typing on the desktop still launches the "run command" interface (klauncher)

It's called KRunner nowadays ;) David just fixed that, the entire KRunner interface will now be disabled by turning of run_command, so you cannot bypass that anymore by placing a direct dbus call or so.

> 6.) toolbars can still be unlocked and therefore easily hidden (need a way to prevent unlocking)

I looked into kxmlgui (the framework responsible for this) but I failed to find a way to disable this option, needs further investigation.

If you have any further suggestions or requirements on locking down or adjusting your Plasma setup don't hesitate to ask!

Cheers,
Kai Uwe

[1] https://phabricator.kde.org/D1609