Proposal: kde-libs.org, a repository of contributed libraries

Martin Klapetek martin.klapetek at gmail.com
Tue May 3 00:59:23 UTC 2016

On Sun, May 1, 2016 at 7:51 AM, kdea <k.dea at mail.com> wrote:

> Excuse me, I sent the message in html format. Sending now in text format...
>
> Hi, yesterday I published a new version of my "Take a break" plasmoid (
> http://kde-apps.org/content/show.php/Take+a+break?content=174127 ). It
> now includes a little-but-useful library, "TextSize.qml", that contains a
> description and an example of use.

What does it actually do? There is a similar thing in QML
called TextMetrics and FontMetrics btw, maybe they could
be of use to you.

> Is there any repository of contributed libraries, where I can upload the
> library to, and where other developers can easily browse/find libraries to
> (re)use in their plasmoids?

You could in theory put it in Plasma extra/components, more
on that below.

> If not, I would like to propose to create such repository. For example, it
> could be similar to "http://kde-apps.org/" page, but only for libraries
> (let's say "http://kde-libs.org/"). The users of the page would be
> developers, and the "things" uploaded/downloaded/browsed/searched would be
> libraries, instead of programs.
>
> In this way, before developing a new plasmoid, the developer would search
> for reusable libraries, contributed by other developers. I think it would
> promote the creation of modular plasmoids, with more reusable parts, and
> the sharing of solutions to common problems.
>
> What do you think?

For developing a Plasmoid, you should ideally use what Plasma
offers, ie. the components that are parts of it. So when you're
developing a Plasmoid, you should search its components found
in our apidocs [1]. If you think your addition would be a good addition
for other Plasma developers, it is of course welcome to join the
Plasma framework. Just note that Plasma tries to not become
a collection of everything, so maybe there won't be a place for
your little stuff.

Alternatively, QtQuick should have most of other generic things
you might need.

In any case, we could really use a quick overview of what your
TextSize.qml does and why do you think it's useful for other
Plasmoid developers, then we'll advise you on next steps :)

[1]
http://api.kde.org/frameworks-api/frameworks5-apidocs/plasma-framework/html/

Cheers
--