Writing to plasma-desktop-appletsrc with init scripts.

Chris Topel ctopel at advocap.org
Thu Mar 31 21:17:24 UTC 2016

Hey all,

I'm having a bit of an issue trying to make something work in my
environment.

Basically, I want widgets to be disabled by default. But if a user
chooses to do so, they can unlock the widgets and make their changes.
Then, on logout, the widget will automatically be locked again for them
so they don't accidentally remove it the next day.

So to do that I'd like to use init scripts
(/usr/share/kde4/apps/plasma-desktop/init/00-defaultLayout.js) to pass
something directly into plasma-desktop-appletsrc when a user first logs in.

Specifically, I want to add this to the bottom of the file:

    [General]
    immutability[$i]=2

This will lock widgets by default but will allow the users to unlock it
(immutability=1) temporarily to add/move widgets. Then the next time
they log back in it will be locked (immutability=2) again for them.

So, is there some way I can easily easily set immutability[$i]=2 under
the [General] section of plasma-desktop-appletsrc?

Thanks in advance!