Considering a Qt 5.6 dependency for plasma-workspace

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Thu Mar 31 11:54:35 UTC 2016

On Friday, March 25, 2016 04:25:54 PM Martin Graesslin wrote:
> On Thursday, March 24, 2016 5:31:21 PM CET Aleix Pol wrote:
> > Hi,
> > I'd like to suggest a Qt 5.6 dependency for plasma-workspace master
> > (and maybe other repositories too).
> >

> > My personal interest is mostly because of the patch that drops KScreen
> > dependency in plasmashell [1], but I still think it makes sense on
> > other areas and it's unlikely that plasma 5.7 is going to ever be run
> > under Qt 5.5 anyway (in fact, Plasma 5.6 won't be run under Qt 5.5
> > either on most distributions, interestingly).
>
> As long as there is no Qt 5.6 bug fix release which doesn't block kded on
> startup I suggest that we don't depend on Qt 5.6. We currently know it's
> broken and completely unusable for us.
>
> Let's wait for the bug fix release and then depend on 5.6.1.

+1, won't matter for a release anyway, and devs can switch at any time.

Otherwise, yes, I'd love to get out of this limbo situation where we get
reports of broken screen management from people running < Qt 5.6. That will
actually make it possible to find out where kscreen is doing the wrong thing,
right now it seems to react to spurious events through QScreen and writes out
wrong configs.
--
sebas

http://www.kde.org | http://vizZzion.org