kio-mtp

Dominik Haumann dhaumann at kde.org
Thu Mar 31 10:46:09 UTC 2016

Hi all,

I'm writing to this list, since the kio-mtp slave most certainly
affects the experience of KDE Plasma5 users.

In https://git.reviewboard.kde.org/r/127386/ I found out that the
kio-mtp slave uses libmtp in a wrong way, namely it uses
LIBMTP_Check_Specific_Device() for every device before proceeding with
any other action.

However, as was confirmed on libmtp-discuss
LIBMTP_Check_Specific_Device() was never meat to be used this way: It
should only be used as fallback, if LIBMTP_Detect_Raw_Devices() fails.
All the details are explained in the review request, and the
respective links.

Since the 16.04 release is about to happen, can we still get this
change committed? For close to two weeks I got no reply/review.

That's rather unfortunate, since imo the patch is ready and correct
(even confirmed by the libmtp authors themselves) and just waits for
someone to give a ship-it.

Would be cool if someone takes the time.

Thanks,
Dominik