draft Dot story about sprint

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Mar 21 16:16:32 UTC 2016

On Monday 21 March 2016, Sebastian Kügler wrote:

> I've drafted such a piece, but would like to have further feedback. I've
> concentrated on some core things we did, which I think is fine. If you'd
> like to include some more topics, please supply me a suitable paragraph
> for it.

I think all of that is ok, i would add this couple of short paragraphs(pretty
much copied from my blog entry)

A rewrite of the Plasma systemtray widget has been merged into Plasma Desktop
for the 5.7, it brings a much simplified codebase and a lot of bugfixes
compared to the old implementation

The graphical components used in Plasma Mobile have a new home and name.
Kirigami (The name comes from a Japanese paper folding craft similar to
Origami, but unlike Origami cutting the paper is allowed) is a set of QtQuick
components at the moment targeted for mobile use (in the future desktop as
well) targeting both Plasma Mobile and Android. It’s not a whole set of
components, all the “Primitive” ones like buttons and textboxes are a job for
QtQuickControls (soon QtQuickContrls2) but it’s a set of high level components
to make as easy as possible making applications that look gorgeous on mobile
devices that follow the Visual Design Group UI guidelines
(https://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Usability/HIG).

(optional, throwing a mention of subsurface?)
The first Android application using a tech preview of Kirigami components has
been released https://subsurface-divelog.org/2016/03/announcing-subsurface-mobile-for-android/

additionally, adding a short recap of the branding discussion? (but perhaps is
not that good for a dot article)

--
Marco Martin