KWayland as framework

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Sat Mar 12 10:14:07 UTC 2016

Hi all,
As you know in this moment a central effort of the Plasma team is to
port the essential bits and pieces of the workspace (such as KWin,
plasmashell and various helper bits) to Wayland in order to provide a
good usable desktop experience on Wayland before the end of the year.

A central part for integrating the shell (and potentially some other
applications as soon they need anything "special" from the compositor)
with wayland is the KWayland library, that implements with a
Qt-friendly api some central wayland protocols plus some of our
extended ones.

now, for some things, I would need to use it from plasma-framework, as
some plasma components that are toplevel window (Dialog) needs to
integrate with some wayland protocols (extended window type, shadows)
and probaly other things (such as the window thumbnail component)

The library only depends from Qt and wayland libraries, and it's a
while we have a policy of abi stability for it.

I think the library now is mature enough to be a framework (tier 1 as
doesn't depend on other frameworks) there won't be abi incompatible
changes for the foreseeable future, just additions.

Opinions? comments?

--
Marco Martin