[kde-doc-english] [kinfocenter] /: Remove all remaining bits of SCSI module

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Fri Mar 11 13:48:26 UTC 2016

On Friday, March 11, 2016 15:01:19 Alexander Potashev wrote:
> > CC:ing plasma-devel.
> >
> > On Thursday, March 10, 2016 02:41:16 Alexander Potashev wrote:
> >> Next time please clarify in the commit message why you remove
> >> something (reasoning, links to discussions, etc?), SCSI support in
> >> this case.
> >
> > SCSI isn't used in today's systems, it's very unlikely to find a system
> > with sufficient OpenGL support to run Plasma which still has SCSI.
> > Reducing UI clutter and maintenance overhead trumps here.
>
> Thanks!
>
> I understand SCSI devices are not very common nowadays, but I guess
> some people use SCSI-USB adapters with modern systems.
>
> You should better
>  1. Investigate what are modern use cases for SCSI devices,
>  2. How often SCSI is mentioned on the KDE Forum and Bugzilla
> and make conclusions from the obtained information.
>
> For example, if you find that SCSI is mostly used on servers with no
> GUI, then it would be a good reason to remove support for it from
> KInfoCenter.

What makes you think we haven't?

Can you please tell us if there are concrete problems you see? Lecturing us
about due process for purely academic reasons is not something we think is
worth our time.

If you're keen on keeping it, feel free to recover the code and put it in your
own KCM. kinfocenter is a plugin-based thing for a reason.

sebas

Sebastian Kügler    |    http://vizZzion.org    |     http://kde.org