kdereview: breeze-grub & breeze-plymouth

Harald Sitter sitter at kde.org
Fri Mar 11 09:59:17 UTC 2016

On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 6:25 PM, Jonathan Riddell <jr at jriddell.org> wrote:
> On Thu, Mar 10, 2016 at 05:10:40PM +0000, Jonathan Riddell wrote:
>> Some queries:
>>  - why does it have a .grub theme file? shouldn't that be in breeze-grub?

Actually I think we can drop it, it is some debian coloring tech that
ultimately is useless if one uses our grub theme. Unless someone knows
why we would want to keep it?

>>  - It doesn't do anything for ask-question

A bug! Oh my. Turns out it is not implemented at all. I also struggle
to find an actual use of the command though. Also that will take
additional vertical space we do not have -.-

>>  - It depends on plymouth-label but doesn't check for it at configure time (maybe it's just Debian splitting it out when other distros don't)

Plymouth-label is a runtime plugin. I take it you think cmake should
check for it as RUNTIME dependency?

>>  - There's graphics for distros to have their own logo in place of the KDE one but no means to use that, are distros expected to just patch them?

Yep. See README. Ideally what I would like to have is a build-time
asset compiler to both adjust the .script and merge images/ with a
branded variant of it. For now patching should do though.

> And the text covers the progress spinner
>  https://www.flickr.com/photos/jriddell/25650567456/

This appears to be a spacing issue on 800x600, supposedly it gets
worse for 640x480. I did fix the text spacing to just barely make it
on 600p (with a bit of overlap) that's still going to phenomenally
fail for 480p though. Options at this point are

- don't use logo on low res
- use lower res logo on low res (this actually might be best - on 480
the logo would consume 1/4 of the height with the logo aligned at the
vertical center that would leave the title, spinner and text with a
glorious 180 pixels :O)
- move the entire layout up when it runs out of space. while
technically very appealing since plymouth doesn't have any layout tech
besides placing things by x/y/z this actually would be the most
invasive approach as we have to build adaptive layout rigging in
plyscript.

None of which seems terribly compelling, lower res logos certainly
seem the most likely choice. They may increase the theme size a bit,
but improve appearance.

I quickly tried the logo resolution approach since that is fairly
cheap to do code-wise:
http://imgur.com/a/DEV1S
that's 480 with a 32x32 logo and 600 with a 64x64 logo. Along with the
spacing fix I did 600 looks fairly decent this way, 480 remains a
hopeless mess.

HS