two exceptions for string freeze in Plasma

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Wed Mar 9 19:33:11 UTC 2016

On Wednesday, March 09, 2016 18:01:12 Luigi Toscano wrote:
> On Wednesday 09 of March 2016 09:26:05 Sebastian Kügler wrote:

> > > Others won't be. And you also fixed other unrelated messages in
> > > khelpcenter
> > > (the name of some documents  without checking what they are about or
> > > without asking about how to rename them - can we do it  before changing
> > > those strings)?
> >
> > Who is "others"?
> >
> > In general, when criticizing, can you give concrete examples and provide
> > alternative solutions? I can't really address your concerns otherwise.
> >
> > You're hinting that I broke something. Could you point out what? In my
> > testing, and when I checked, everything still worked and even made more
> > sense, with less wrong usage of the "KDE" brand. That's why the patches
> > passed review and have been pushed to master.
>
> I'm one of the people who is "lobbying" and fixing the wrong usage of "KDE"
> around. So let me put this straight: I totally and completely support the
> removal of KDE-as-the-desktop.

That's much appreciated!

> My concern are about generic names. There were complaints even for our usage
> of a generic name like System Settings, and that's why, for what I
> remember, Ben created that additional kdesystemsettings.desktop to be shown
> outside Plasma. I remember heated discussions in the past, and I can dig it
> a bit more (I don't have my mail archive right now).
>
> I feel like using generic names for these kind of components is stepping in
> the toes of other desktop environment. I feel that every time I see a
> generic name from, to name one, few components of the Gnome desktop. So
> they ends up hiding them in their environment, which does not help
> convincing the users that all applications are equal (and not bloated or
> not fitted or not working under a different desktop).
>
> If, on the other side, you think that this is not important for components
> part of Plasma, and if they are not used (because ends up hidden by their
> generic name) in other environment, that's fine.
>
> You could think I'm overthinking. I think other users will share these
> concerns.
> The decision is yours, I was not going (and I won't) to continue the debate
> after this. Two replies, close it.

The opinion here was that it's not actually *that* generic. The "Center" (in
both, Help Center and Info Center) isn't too generic, so this is fine from our
point of view. If it turn out to be a problem in the future, we may revisit,
of course.

> > > The Gnome equivalent for khelpcenter is called yelp, not Help Center.
> > > Again: please reevaluate. Generic names are simply bad.
> >
> > I think generic names are great because it's something the user can
> > understand without context. You're not actually supporting your own
> > statements, I can't reasonably work with that kind of criticism.
> >
> > I'd like to address your feedback and come to a solution everyone is happy
> > with, but for that, please provide suggestions what to use instead, and
> > don't just point out "that's bad", because the previous naming was wrong,
> > and the current isn't (AFAICS), so it's not an option to just revert, I'd
> > rather fix it.
>
> And I agree, again, that the current naming is incorrect. So please go
> forward and rename it with the generic name and let's close this
> discussion.

Done and pushed to Plasma/5.6 branches of khelpcenter and kinfocenter. Thanks
for helping to get this sorted!
--
sebas

Sebastian Kügler    |    http://vizZzion.org    |     http://kde.org