Long term support release for Plasma?

Bernhard Rosenkraenzer bero at lindev.ch
Wed Jun 29 18:35:26 UTC 2016

On 2016-06-27 14:28, Martin Graesslin wrote:
> Hi distributions,
>
> in Plasma we are considering to add a long term support release. For
> this idea
> we want to get some feedback from your side to know how we should set
> this up.

 From an OpenMandriva perspective:

> We would like to know from you:
> * is that something which is useful to you?

We're not too interested in another 5.7.x release when 5.8 is out,
usually another .x doesn't break things too badly.
However:

> * how often should we do an LTS release?

For us it would be useful to make an end-of-line release LTS. 5.(last
before 6 is released), then 6.(last before 7) etc. being LTS would help
us with people who are scared of more significant UI changes. We still
have a few people who long for the "good old days" of KDE 3.x.
We probably won't treat LTS releases that aren't end-of-line differently
from "normal" releases.

> * how often should we do bug fix releases for an LTS?

Distros on fixed release schedules will disagree, but I think there's
not much of a point in scheduling bug fix releases - I'd opt for
"release when an important bug is fixed".

> * how long should a LTS be supported?

If following the end-of-line idea, ideally until the next big release is
out (so support 4.x until 6.0 is stable, 5.x until 7.0 is stable, ...)

> Related to that:
> * what to do with frameworks?
> * Would you freeze the frameworks version or continue to backport newer
> framework versions to your distribution?
> * Would you want an LTS branch for frameworks as well?
> * What would you expect that to look like?

I think as far as we're concerned, that's done anyway - there will
probably be a 5.x branch when switching to Qt6 at some point.

ttyl
bero