Plamsa Stable Build.kde.org failures

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Thu Jun 30 14:12:01 UTC 2016

On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 2:31 PM, Marco Martin <notmart at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thursday 30 June 2016 13:50:02 David Edmundson wrote:
> > *Is there a short term plan:*
> >
> > Personally I think our our only viable short term options are:
> >  -  forcing Qt5.6 on the stable branches of applications. Theoretically
> it
> > won't break anything (though in practice who knows)
> >  - turning off the CI for Plasma stable for now.
> >
> > I'm not sure what other options there are.
>
> distributions will have 5.6 anyways by now (at least new releases/planned
> releases)
> so testing master of applications with 5.6 looks to me even more useful
> than
> 5.5 anyways?

We already test applications master with Qt5.6. Plasma master is with Qt5.6
too.

Problem is we need Plasma stable to be Qt5.6, and this proposal means
bumping applications stable to be Qt5.6 too - as we currently have this
global concept of "master" and "stable".

One might argue this introduces the potential regresssion that applications
might introduce Qt 5.6.0 API which won't compile without CI noticing.
Though there already exists the potential for apps to use newer Frameworks
API than the one explicitly required by the app and having effectively the
same problem anyway.

David