Plamsa Stable Build.kde.org failures

David Edmundson david at davidedmundson.co.uk
Thu Jun 30 12:50:02 UTC 2016

I wanted to write up why Plasma stable is failing on CI so that we have a
written down record. (and so we don't keep getting told off by sysadmins
for not fixing it)

Plasma 5.7 requires Qt 5.6
The "stable-kf5-qt5 " layer on CI  builds against Qt 5.5

*Can we set Plasma stable to use latest Qt/Frameworks (the kf5-qt5 layer
master uses):*

Yes, but:
[10:06] <bcooksley> you'll just end up without a CI on your master

*Can we update the stable-kf5-qt5 layer to use a newer Qt:*
Not without upping the Qt used by Applications/16.04

*Could we add another layer:*

[10:04] <bcooksley> new layer is even more painful
[10:04] <bcooksley> requires adjusting the DSL
[10:04] <bcooksley> and building Qt another time
[10:05] <bcooksley> plus all of Frameworks
[10:05] <bcooksley> and anything else which Plasma happens to need in there

*Is there a long term plan:*

Michael Pyne/Ben have a thread redesigning logical-module-strucutre in that
long email thread somewhere. See thread
"Proposal to improving KDE Software Repository Organization"

*Is there a short term plan:*

Personally I think our our only viable short term options are:
 -  forcing Qt5.6 on the stable branches of applications. Theoretically it
won't break anything (though in practice who knows)
 - turning off the CI for Plasma stable for now.

I'm not sure what other options there are.

David