Long term support release for Plasma?

Martin Gräßlin mgraesslin at kde.org
Wed Jun 29 14:29:11 UTC 2016

Am 2016-06-29 15:34, schrieb Philip Muskovac:
>> * how long should a LTS be supported?
> I would be happy with your proposal, but it would be nice if security
> issues could be evaluated for the previous LTS as well. Doesn't need a
> release, a note in the advisory would be sufficient.

Just as a note: we hit one sever security issue in 5.x so far and that
got backported to all releases (including 5.0). So yeah that certainly
sounds doable and is also something I expect our security team to ask
for.

>> Related to that:
>> * what to do with frameworks?
>> * Would you freeze the frameworks version or continue to backport
>> newer
>> framework versions to your distribution?
>> * Would you want an LTS branch for frameworks as well?
>> * What would you expect that to look like?
> For frameworks I'm clueless, really. To be able to use a frameworks
> release in Kubuntu as an "update" it would have to...
> - not cause any regressions [Not in plasma, not in any other software
> that uses it] (Hi behavior change when closing applications)
> - not have any new or updated dependencies ("new" as in: we would need
> to add/update a 3rd party package)
> - not have any component or pieces of a component removed (counts as
> "regression" [not frameworks, but hi kdepim for once removing unused
> public libs in a "bugfix" update])
> - not have any components added (ok, that could probably be handled if
> really necessary)
>
> That's why we and other distributions were asking for bugfix releases
> for frameworks 2 years ago. Did something change in the meantime that
> I missed?

I'm not aware of any changes.

>> Looking forward to your input on this rather important topic.
>>
>> Cheers
>> Martin
>
> Here you have it and thanks for the idea ;)

Thanks for the feedback, very appreciated.

Cheers
Martin