[Differential] [Commented On] D1816: Switch to Noto Mono as default monospace font

dhaumann (Dominik Haumann) noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Fri Jun 17 21:00:22 UTC 2016

dhaumann added a comment.

  It's important to chime in here.

  There is a huge issue with fonts in general, that do not provide all font faces. What we need is: regular (sometimes called roman?), bold, italic (sometimes called oblique), and bold italic (4 flavours in total).

  As background: Oxygen Mono does only contain the font face "Regular". As a result, Kate, Kile, KDevelop (and every other app that uses the fixed font) cannot display anything in bold and/or italic. This already happened with the Oxygen font. As a consequence, Kile is pretty much hard to use, since the visual structure is hard to grasp, or C++ keywords like 'return' or 'void' are not thick in KDevelop/Kate.

  That said, looking into Noto Mono, this font has the exactly same problem.

  In other words: Noto Mono is a big no-no, just like Oxygen was (we unfortunately only noticed this issues very late).

  The issue is even worse: Since users already use Plasma, they have "Oxygen" in kateglobalsrc. The above patch fixes this. But the "Oxygen" font also is in kateschemarc, for instance. This also needs to be fixed (and probably additionally blacklisted in the ktexteditor framework).

  So from my side, this patch has the same problems as Oxygen Mono already had...

  If you have further discussions about fonts, please consider also CCing kwrite-devel.

REPOSITORY
  rPLASMAINTEGRATION Integration for Qt applications in Plasma

EMAIL PREFERENCES