Plasma 5.8 and openSUSE 42.2

Jonathan Riddell jr at jriddell.org
Thu Jul 28 10:11:56 UTC 2016

On Tue, Jul 26, 2016 at 03:56:21PM +0200, Antonio Larrosa wrote:
> This mean bringing forward some kde release dates and postponing some
> opensuse pre-releases to make everything fit tightly.
>
> 2016-09-01: openSUSE 42.2 Beta 1 (this would include the last Plasma
> release available at that time, 5.7.4 or 5.7.5)
> 2016-09-08: Plasma 5.8 Repo Freeze (last day of Akademy, maybe that
> could be moved to freeze the repo just before QtCon?)
> 2016-09-15: Plasma 5.7.95 LTS (aka 5.8.0 Beta)

So Repo freeze a week earlier (during Akademy) then beta and
everything else following two weeks earlier.

> So, my question is, would you agree with that? Anybody sees any problem
> if both projects agree to those changes to their respective schedules?

It takes us back to a 3 month release scheule rather than 3.5 months
which feels a bit too short for some people.  I don't know if people
were expecting to use that extra time for features or not.

There's also the issue that if we move for one distro we'll end up
with accusations of favouratism and requests for moving for other
distros.  But then maybe we do like openSUSE :)

Jonathan