Javascript to change the default wallpaper in plasma

Bhushan Shah bhush94 at gmail.com
Thu Jul 28 06:21:17 UTC 2016

Hello Raphael

On Mon, Jul 25, 2016 at 09:01:25PM +0200, Raphael Hertzog wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm a Debian developer trying to fix the plasma integration with default artwork
> in Debian (https://bugs.debian.org/831730). I noticed recently that a plasma
> install did not have the expected wallpaper and thus that the existing
> integration no longer works. The current integration is a file
> /usr/share/kde4/apps/plasma-desktop/init/10-destop-base.js:
> http://sources.debian.net/src/desktop-base/8.0.2/kde-wallpaper/10-desktop-base.js/
>
> I tried to look out for documentation but the only thing that I did
> find is this wiki page and it doesn't seem to be entirely up-to-date:
> https://userbase.kde.org/KDE_System_Administration/PlasmaDesktopScripting

For Plasma 5, scripting have some bits changed, see following wiki

https://userbase.kde.org/KDE_System_Administration/PlasmaTwoDesktopScripting

> For instance, I was not able to run the interactive scripting dialog
> with "qdbus org.kde.plasma-desktop /MainApplication
> showInteractiveConsole" (it doesn't know about this DBus interface)
> so I could not get very far into debugging my issue.

With Plasma 5, you can start kwin console with following

qdbus org.kde.plasmashell /PlasmaShell org.kde.PlasmaShell.showInteractiveConsole

> I tried to update the javascript code like this, based on my reading
> of ~/.config/plasma-org.kde.plasma.desktop-appletsrc after having changed
> the background:
>
>     d = desktops()
>
>     for (i in d) {
> 	d[i].wallpaperPlugin = 'org.kde.image'
> 	d[i].currentConfigGroup = Array('Wallpaper', 'org.kde.image', 'General')
> 	d[i].writeConfig('Image',
> 		'file:///usr/share/images/desktop-base/desktop-background')
> 	d[i].writeConfig('FillMode', '2')          //enables croping
>     }
>
> But it doesn't seem to work and I don't know why. It's possible that the script
> is not executed at all...
>
> Do you know what has changed and what I should fix? Any help/pointer is welcome.

I am not completely sure on how to adjust wallpaper, but others might
know.. Also I guess since your scripts are KDE4 based, they might not
work out-of-box with Plasma 5.

Thanks

--
Bhushan Shah