The situation of KWallet, and what to do about it?

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Fri Jul 15 08:29:52 UTC 2016

On Friday, July 15, 2016 10:22:32 AM CEST Elvis Angelaccio wrote:
> > El dijous, 7 de juliol de 2016, a les 18:43:57 CEST, Elvis Angelaccio va
> >
> > escriure:
> >> Hi,
> >> thanks for raising this topic!

> >> I disagree on this point. Even if KWallet were free of usability
> >> issues, it would still provide a false sense of security. The user
> >> thinks that his/her passwords are safe, while in fact they are not.
> >
> > How exactly the passwords are not safe?
>
> The default behavior is to keep wallets "open" once they have been
> decrypted. If a wallet is open, any process can trivially retrieve
> clear-text passwords from it using the KWallet API. I wanted to back my
> claim with some code, so I created a small PoC in [1]. All an attacker has
> to do is to guess the name of a wallet (and only if the default
> 'kdewallet' name is not used!).
>
> I could also mention that KWallet accepts an empty master password,
> which alone is already bad enough.

yeah, once the wallet is open it's as secure as a simple plain-text file on an
encrypted home. If the home is not encrypted kwallet does offer an advantage
over a simple plain-text file.

If we assume that "if it runs, it's trusted" then everything is fine as well. I
can see ways how this can be secure with containerized apps and e.g. dedicated
privs the user has to acknowledge to have it read wallets. E.g. that a
containerized app has to ask for password for application foo. This could
offer a user a good and informed decision on whether to grant it or not.

Cheers
Martin