[RFC] WindowMetadata framework fundamentals

Eike Hein hein at kde.org
Thu Jul 14 09:46:36 UTC 2016

On 07/14/2016 06:36 PM, Marco Martin wrote:
> Good stuff!
> don't have much to say on the readme..
> looking at the code i see it's still based on window ids, any idea how to
> solve that/how to identify windows?

We discussed this on IRC last week and then in this Monday's
hangout. The way it should work is:

1. Client has some sort of scheme to generate DBus object name for
   the window (the particulars don't matter, could be a uuid).

2. It tells the windowing system about this object name. On X11 it
   could set a prop on the window, on Wayland it need a new custom
   protocol in KWayland. The code for this could be encapsulated in
   KWindowSystem, or just be in WMD itself.

3. The server then gets the DBus object name from the windowing
   system. E.g. libtaskmanager: On X11 it has the winid, which it
   can use to read the prop. On Wayland it has the PlasmaWindow
   interface from KWayland, which will get a getter to get the
   object name that kwin has been told about in #2.

4. Now it can grab the metadata from DBus.

That means no more global ids - the object name itself becomes the
handle.

Cheers,
Eike