The situation of KWallet, and what to do about it?

Kevin Ottens ervin at kde.org
Mon Jul 11 21:55:35 UTC 2016

Hello,

On Monday, 11 July 2016 20:51:43 CEST Sune Vuorela wrote:
> On 2016-07-07, Kevin Ottens <ervin at kde.org> wrote:
> > There's two sides to that problem in fact, use from applications and
> > the=20
> > service provided by our workspace.
>
> One issue that I'm a bit puzzled about is the following scenario:
>
> A user uses KMail for emails.
> But switches between various desktop environments.
>
> Would he need to configure KMail in all of them?

Depends how much effort we want to put into something like that really. Worst
case scenario: he'd have to retype passwords in the various desktop
environments. Best case scenario we magically find out that it'd find more
passwords with a different backend and so nothing to retype.

Personally, I'd put no effort in dealing with that.

I have two reasons for that:
1) I don't think many users do that or should do that. Nowadays, most perceive
the workspace as part of the OS stack.
2) On Linux, I'd expect those things to converge at one point (could be years
of course[*]) and you'd have only one of the potential storages picked by the
distro at installation, all the apps would use that one, whatever workspace
you're running (talking about something I witnessed, I think it will be a bit
like what happened with hardware detection: everyone has a wrongly designed
solution, then hal emerged, then udisks and friends, everyone use those now).

Regards.

[*} But whatever solution we pick forward it'll take months to get there and
be used by all our applications anyway.
--
Kévin Ottens, http://ervin.ipsquad.net