[Differential] [Commented On] D2121: DesktopView: Don't call ensureWindowType on FocusIn event

graesslin (Martin Gräßlin) noreply at phabricator.kde.org
Mon Jul 11 06:33:25 UTC 2016

graesslin added a comment.

  > Fixes desktop window losing the keep-below flag

  Just saying: this doesn't make sense. Keep-below doesn't matter for a desktop window. I just checked KWin's source code and the layer of the desktop window is only determined by the window type. Keep above/below has no influence on desktop windows. (For those interested kwin.git file abstract_client.cpp method belongsToLayer())

  Overall the proposed change worries me. I totally believe you that it fixes the problem and also think that the current code is wrong. What worries me is that we don't understand what's going on here in a very central part of our desktop application. We don't know when we set the window type. That's urgh.

  I would say the ensurePlatformWindow needs to be called from the QPlatformSurfaceEvent::SurfaceCreated event. But we should test that whole thing.

  What's really important to know is that KWin does not support changes of window type once a window is mapped. This makes the existing code pointless - it cannot update. But it also means that somewhere there is a race that the window type is not properly set.

REPOSITORY
  rPLASMAWORKSPACE Plasma Workspace

EMAIL PREFERENCES