Tips on developing KRunner plug-ins (with Qt Creator?)

Giacomo Alzetta giacomo.alzetta at gmail.com
Sun Jul 10 15:34:14 UTC 2016

I sent this email on the kde-devel mailing list and I was redirected here.

Hi all,
I've been trying to develop some KRunner plug-ins for plasma 5 using Qt
Creator (no cmake) but it seems like they all fail to actually run, so I
wanted to ask here if somebody could help me understand what's going wrong.

For example look at:

    https://github.com/Bakuriu/MyTestRunner

it's the simplest KRunner plug-in I can think of: you type XYZ in KRunner
and the plug-in simply provides an exact match that says "You typed XYZ".
AFAICT the implementation of the code is correct, as I have followed the
tutorial, so the issue shouldn't be that the runner is being called but it
doesn't work... it's that it's not being called at all. The code compiles and
produces a shared library. (You can try to run "sudo ./INSTALL" to build and
install that plug-in)

Now if I copy the shared library to the "kf5-config --qt-plugins" directory
with the
name mentioned in the ".desktop" file and I put the desktop file under own of
the
paths in "kf5-config --path services"  I believe KRunner should now load it.

However even after doing "kquitapp krunner && krunner" to restart the runner
it
seems like my runner is not being called at all.

Could someone tell me what's wrong with what I'm doing?

Thanks in advance.