The situation of KWallet, and what to do about it?

Luca Beltrame lbeltrame at kde.org
Thu Jul 7 11:39:53 UTC 2016

In data giovedì 7 luglio 2016 13:17:12 CEST, Martin Graesslin ha scritto:

Hello Martin,

> Adding some more:
[...]

I think we should not forget that there's kwallet (the framework) and
kwallet{manager} (the frontend).

I also think that Kwallet is very much ingrained in a lot of KDE software, so
that rules out (IMO) the option for a drastic change there. I do believe, as
Thomas stated, that we *need* to have a wallet available in the workspace.

That said, some review would be in order in particular with regards to the
encryption used (see the recent breakage that occurred "just" fixing a compiler
warning).

(FYI, I'm using Kwallet with a GPG-based YubiKey, but I agree this is *not* an
acceptable, or easy enough, solution for our userbase),

> - if one doesn't unlock the wallet fast enough applications start asking for
> the password. So getting a coffee while desktop starts results in thousands

This is no longer the case, IIRC dfaure has raised the timeout to 45 minutes.

> For Plasma I would like to see unlocking the wallet integrated into the
> desktop shell in some way. That would fix problems like the incorrect

That would mean probably having Plasma providing a sort of "frontend" to the
framework? To be honest, I have no idea if there's any separation of GUI and
wallet layers in the kwallet-framework code.

--
Luca Beltrame - KDE Forums team
KDE Science supporter