ideas to improve activities/desktop automation

Pierangelo Terzulli piero.terzulli at gmail.com
Thu Jul 7 08:50:07 UTC 2016

hi everyone!

following a suggestion on #plasma, I would like to start a discussion
about how to improve activities/desktop automation for users.

I'm mostly interested in the ability to specify, ahead-of-time or at
launch-time, on which activity/desktop an application window should
run into, basing the decision also on a per-application
property/content basis (be it PID, user,working directory or a command
argument like a path for a file manager or a url for a browser).

At the moment (please correct me if wrong) such ability is provided by
the kwinrules kcm module, but the criteria it provides are related to
X window properties only, no application name can be specified, nor a
command argument.

How would you solve such a problem? Is it possible at all with the
current technology (X11, wayland, TaskManager)? What changes are
required to provide such functionality?

Here are some links that have dealt with some aspect of this scenario:

http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/46621/what-process-created-this-window-with-no-pid-associated

http://unix.stackexchange.com/questions/5478/what-process-created-this-x11-window

https://www.x.org/releases/X11R7.7/doc/resourceproto/resproto.txt