Which applications does the Plasma team recommend to use with Plasma?

Thomas Pfeiffer thomas.pfeiffer at kde.org
Mon Jul 4 14:40:37 UTC 2016

On 04.07.2016 14:59, Luca Beltrame wrote:

> In data lunedì 4 luglio 2016 14:54:25 CEST, Luca Beltrame ha scritto:
>>> Music player: Cantata
> And something I forgot: it doesn't integrate too well with the workspace. At
> least for my cheap keyboard, multimedia keys aren't handled unless the
> application has focus, and its tray icon behaves not too well.
Good point: Actually, we think that multimedia key support should
always be handled via MPRIS, not via the applications themselves, and
that does work fine in Cantata.
Looks like we should recommend distributions to activate the MPRIS Plasmoid
by default, assign the multimedia keys to it, activate MPRIS in Cantata
and deactivate its tray icon by default. That setup works perfectly fine and
should make all MPRIS-supporting apps behave the same.
> Also for some reason the MPRIS plasmoid doesn't show cover info, but that may
> be a local MPD issue.
It must be a local issue, I can see cover art both in the Plasmoid and the
task manager tooltip.