Plamsa Stable Build.kde.org failures

Ben Cooksley bcooksley at kde.org
Fri Jul 1 11:48:23 UTC 2016

On Fri, Jul 1, 2016 at 10:41 PM, David Edmundson
<david at davidedmundson.co.uk> wrote:

> On Thu, Jun 30, 2016 at 10:25 PM, Ben Cooksley <bcooksley at kde.org> wrote:
>>
>> Hi David,
>>
>> On Fri, Jul 1, 2016 at 12:50 AM, David Edmundson
>> <david at davidedmundson.co.uk> wrote:
>> > I wanted to write up why Plasma stable is failing on CI so that we have
>> > written down record. (and so we don't keep getting told off by sysadmins
>> > for
>> > not fixing it)
>>
>> Sorry if it seems like we've done that.
>> I don't see any issue with the situation we're in here - Qt version
>> upgrades happen.... (although advance notice of needing it is nice so
>> we can be ready in advance)
>>

>> > Plasma 5.7 requires Qt 5.6
>> > The "stable-kf5-qt5 " layer on CI  builds against Qt 5.5
>> >
>> > Can we set Plasma stable to use latest Qt/Frameworks (the kf5-qt5 layer
>> > master uses):
>> >
>> > Yes, but:
>> > [10:06] <bcooksley> you'll just end up without a CI on your master
>> >

>> > Can we update the stable-kf5-qt5 layer to use a newer Qt:
>> > Not without upping the Qt used by Applications/16.04
>> >
>> > Could we add another layer:
>> >
>> > [10:04] <bcooksley> new layer is even more painful
>> > [10:04] <bcooksley> requires adjusting the DSL
>> > [10:04] <bcooksley> and building Qt another time
>> > [10:05] <bcooksley> plus all of Frameworks
>> > [10:05] <bcooksley> and anything else which Plasma happens to need in
>> > there
>> >
>> > Is there a long term plan:
>> >
>> > Michael Pyne/Ben have a thread redesigning logical-module-strucutre in
>> > that
>> > long email thread somewhere. See thread
>> > "Proposal to improving KDE Software Repository Organization"
>>
>> Anyone interested in helping with this point?
>>

>> > Is there a short term plan:
>> >
>> > Personally I think our our only viable short term options are:
>> >  -  forcing Qt5.6 on the stable branches of applications. Theoretically
>> > it
>> > won't break anything (though in practice who knows)
>> >  - turning off the CI for Plasma stable for now.
>>
>> Option #1 from that list is probably the easiest thing.
>> Applications doesn't actually need Qt 5.5 - it just happens to be what
>> is there currently.
>>
>> It does mean a carefully orchestrated rebuild of everything on
>> stable-kf5-qt5 is necessary though, due to Qt's issues with
>> compatibility.
>>
> Does carefully orchestrated mean clicking "rebuild now" on everything in a
> vaguely valid order until it works?

Yes. For the frameworks around KXMLGUI / KIO / KParts (I think) you
have to rebuild them in an exactly precise order, otherwise they'll
fail.
Same goes for large parts of KDE PIM.

I've tended to use the "mash the build button until it all goes green"
approach...

> If so I can do that. Just give me the go ahead and I'll make the changes

As long as nobody is planning any releases in the next couple of days
for Frameworks / Applications it should be fine from my point of view.
You'll need to update logical-module-structure, then wait until the
DSL job has finished to update the Jenkins job to point to the right
branch.

> David

Cheers,
Ben