KDE Development VirtualBox

Martin Graesslin mgraesslin at kde.org
Wed Jan 27 07:12:44 UTC 2016

On Wednesday, January 27, 2016 5:09:29 PM CET James Augustus Zuccon wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> Had a look around, but couldn't find much about this.
>
> Is there a VirtualBox Image available for KDE Development specifically
> (with most of the common libraries and their corresponding includes
> installed)?

To my knowledge there is no such image.

> If not, is it worth us creating one to save new developers from having to
> setup a build environment?

Not sure whether this makes much sense. Let me explain why:

* VMs are odd, we have problems with the GPU
* the build needs to be setup nevertheless, e.g. git needs to be configured
* the image will be constantly out of date needing a rebuild of the software

What I think is better is having something based on an up-to-date unstable
packages. So that the base is already there and it's easy to just hack on one
thing. Oh and good documentation might even be more important.

> Any thoughts as to what the best Distro to base this on might be?

All of them and none of them. Everybody has his pet distro and if the image is
not that one it won't be used ;-)

Cheers
Martin