KDE papercuts love

josephk at email.it josephk at email.it
Sat Jan 16 23:01:52 UTC 2016

Hi and thank you for providing us great software. The leap from KDE SC 4
serie is giant and in the good direction imho.

I took some time to point out the little quirks I found using your latest
software on Arch Linux (Intel Broadwell).

I own a micro-blog at www.archkde.blogspot.it if you wanna check out.

One reproducible plasma crasher:

- in a pulseaudio system, if mpd played directly to alsa hw output to an
external sound card, entering plasma-pa mixer crashes the whole
plasma.

One bug:

- ALT+Left mouse button moves panel editing interface (like a window)

Eight paper-cuts:

- probably an option in Task Manager to "not show text" is better then a
separated "Icon Only" widget

- "Air" and "Oxygen" Plasma themes are very, very low quality than "Breeze".
I'd rather remove them.

- default application color scheme is not Breeze. I don't understand what
"Current" and "Predifined" are there for: confusing.

- monospace font defaults to ugly Oxygen, in Arch it is even an hard dep.
I'd use Noto Mono instead.

- There's still "Glass" emoticon style, which is inferior to the new Breeze
one. I'd push for a standard uniform experience as much as possible, leaving
the user to download and install an alternative style if needed.

- I hope the default startup beahvior will be "empty session" and that we
will have a logout interface with an option to enable saving apps state

- me (and my parents) much prefer Kicker than Kickoff because it's more
intuitive and easy.

- panel resizing is triky, an option to auto-resize I think would be optimal
instead

- (probably the desktop toolbox should be hidden by default, God knows :)

Big Grief: Applications.

- I miss a KF5 port of Skanlite, K3B and Okular, while I happily gave up the
over-cluttered Ktorrent for Transmission-qt5.

- I really suggest adopting MPD Cantata which can be compiled with KDE
integration, with beautiful QT5 interface and the great audio workhorse
which is MPD. I'm an audiophile and I can just recommend this definitive app
to everyone.

- For video there's the simple but super powerful MPV, which is actively
developed in QT5, it's full-featured, has working hw accel.. it just needs a
baloo widget and a config menu.

- I don't see applications (developers) using Phonon except from few old KDE
ones. Two backends, the recommended one is not even feature complete and
it's based on a heavy third party app. Why not using directly gstreamer and
ditch Phonon and its code completely? I think that using the most powerful,
estabilished, trans-desktop software like mpd, mpv and transmission will
free up resources for other projects and additionaly enforce those core
projects.

Thank you, these were my 2 cents.

Cheers,

Alex T

 --
 ZE-Light e ZE-Pro: servizi zimbra per caselle con dominio email.it, per tutti i dettagli
Clicca qui http://posta.email.it/caselle-di-posta-z-email-it/?utm_campaign=email_Zimbra_102014=main_footer/f

 Sponsor:
 Registra i domini che desideri ed inizia a creare il tuo sito web
 Clicca qui: http://adv.email.it/cgi-bin/foclick.cgi?mid=13323&d=17-1