KDE Discover binary & library names

Aleix Pol aleixpol at kde.org
Mon Jan 11 12:22:36 UTC 2016

On Sat, Jan 9, 2016 at 9:11 PM, Ivan Čukić <ivan.cukic at kde.org> wrote:
> We are heading towards the Plasma Software Compilation :)
>
> One benefit of using Plasma 'everywhere' is that people will start
> seeing the name Plasma more often and maybe speed up the
> KDE-as-in-desktop -> Plasma transition.
>
>> if you were running a Gnome or other desktop variant of your distro
>
> Yes, this is one of the definitions that I'm considering valid (with
> the second one being 'plasma is only plasma shell and plasma
> library').
>
> The problem is that it is not easy to decide whether it fits - there
> will always be at least one non-plasma user who uses an application
> from our community (something like this was posted as an argument for
> spectacle not being called something generic like plasma-screenshot or
> similar). Objectively, how many non-plasma users use dolphin,
> spectacle, ktp, etc.?
>
> BTW, did anyone make an inquiry about whether the discover might be
> useful to lxqt people?

No, but it's not about that. The question is: Would you target LXQt as
your valid personas?

Example 1: We have a plasmoid category in Discover, it's useless in
LXQt and it probably shouldn't show there. Should we consider it a
problem?
Example 2: Should we figure out an alternative to the updates
notifications plasmoid for LXQt?

As a maintainer, I say no. Because it's just not my goal, I think that
being part of Plasma makes it a more appealing product.

Furthermore, Plasma should find ways to better integrate and rely on
Discover to offer resources to its users, which was _the_ reason to
move Discover into Plasma in the first place.

The fact that our stuff can be useful elsewhere shouldn't blur our goals.

Regards,
Aleix