Plasma Mobile Components -> Kirigami (?)

Thomas Pfeiffer thomas.pfeiffer at
Wed Feb 24 21:52:08 UTC 2016

On Mittwoch, 24. Februar 2016 16:47:54 CET Dirk Hohndel wrote:
> On Feb 23, 2016, at 12:51, Thomas Pfeiffer <thomas.pfeiffer at> wrote:
> > We had ideas like "slide", "paper" or "blocks" flying around, but then
> > Alex
> > Longo came up with Origami, which in turn led him to "Kirigami".
> > For those of you who (like the rest of the brainstorming team) don't know
> > what Kirigami is: It's a technique similar to Origami, which adds cutting
> > to folding.
> > 
> > It is physical, it is creative, kinda playful without being childish, and
> > it's far less common than Origami, which helps with searchability.
> I'm always dismayed when projects have names of existing real things.
> Especially in the early days that makes searching for answers such a
> pain...

I hadn't read your reply yet when I sent a mail to the subsurface list asking 
about your opinion, but hey, might as well reply right here, then ;)

Yes, using a name that already exists makes searchability always a bit harder, 
but hey, subsurface is a real word, and it seems like you guys got your SEO 
pretty well ;)

Seriously, though: If we make sure that any queries with Kirigami + anything 
related to GUI design or development ends up on our site, we should be fine.

> Can you give a few example usages?
> I smoked some Kirigami but I can stop anytime...
> More seriously, would you expect us to write "Subsurface-mobile is based on
> Kirigami"? "... uses Kirigami"?
> "... is a Kirigami project"?

Good point!
Since Kirigami is the whole thing, the technical components may indeed need an 
additional qualifier.
We're not exactly sure whether "components", "controls", "widgets", 
"framework" or "blocks" would work best, though.
What would you most clearly associate with the things you're using (ignoring 
for a moment that they're currently called components)?

Alternatively, we might just not define the qualifier ourselves but let people 
choose whatever they like.
So you could say "Subsurface uses Kirigami components" or "...the Kirigami UI 
framework", but you can also say "Subsurface follows the Kirigami UI design".

Would you prefer us to define the qualifier for the UI elements, or would you 
prefer to choose whatever you like to use with Kirigami?

Thank you for the input,

More information about the Plasma-devel mailing list